Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Traffic school...they have it on computers now!!

A couple of Sundays ago I was driving my family back to Mesa from the West Valley after a lovely evening at Shannon's sister's house. Though I have driven that stretch of road countless times I never before realized that the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 in the tunnel area through downtown Phoenix. A nice highway patrolman was nice enough to stop me and help me realize the folly of my ways, along with a written notice so that I would never forget. In other words, I got a ticket.

Fortunately, I have not had a ticket in many years (since before Shannon and I got married) so I was able to go to traffic school and get it wiped off the books. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have traffic school online now. It was a much more enjoyable experience to take it from the comfort of my own home rather than sitting in some dirty hotel room with a bunch of people I don't want to get to know and don't want to be there anymore that I do.

The way it works is you have to be logged in for four hours and spend about 3-5 minutes on each page reading the material. You cannot click the Next button until the timer says you can (as a former software tester I tried countless ways of beating the system, it is pretty locked down though). The best thing, besides being at home, is that you can log in and out as much as you want. I did an hour on Friday night, an hour Sat morning then did some yard work and then finished off later that morning. After you finish the coursework you go to a testing center (any FedEx Kinko's store will do) and they take a look at your ID to make sure you are you and log you in to take the test.

There is one thing in particular that I took away from the class that I would like to share with you. It stated that 25% of all railroad accidents are from cars driving into the side of trains. Yep, it is not a train driving into a car stuck on a track but the opposite where a train has already moved started through the intersection and some yahoo comes along and doesn't notice that a train is there and drives right into it. I paid over $100 to get that info, for you it is free!

4 comments:

  1. I was just commenting today as I drove that stretch how amazing it is that no one slows down ;) Thanks for the train info - I think we saw an accident like that along the Columbia River last Friday morning - crazy people . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I was talking about how stupid would a person have to be to be hit by a train. I mean...you'd REALLY not have to be paying attention...etc.
    Then a girl piped up and said...my brother died that way.
    Open mouth...insert foot.
    Although...she said he was wearing headphones and couldn't hear the train honk, so it doesn't say much for him. I'm going somewhere very warm after this life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bj-

    You are an amazing wealth of knowledge. Why did I have to sit in a stuffy class all day? Did you bribe the officer to let you off easy? Hahahaha.

    PS. When are you and Shannon (and of course Sam) coming over for a nice pot of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying for a baby Sam update!

    Love ya,

    Auntie Brandy

    ReplyDelete