Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fathers and Sons Outing

BJ here. In our church they have an annual event called the Fathers and Sons Outing. It is a camping trip where all the boys go camping for a night. There are many doctrinal reasons for the celebration, suffice it to say that it is a lot of fun each year.



Confession: I haven't been to one since before my mission (circa 1996). Sam did so well on our trip to San Antonio this year that I decided to take him on the campout. I was a little nervous because this is not only his first Fathers and Sons but his first camping trip ever.



He ended up doing great. When we got there we setup the tent and let him sit in his little camp chair and after about a half hour he said he was ready to go home. it was 4:30 in the afternoon. I reminded him that we had to wait and go to sleep first. He was disappointed until he saw several groups start making fires and then I knew that he was all boy. All he wanted to do was walk around and check out the fires. Heaven help his future scoutmaster.

Here are some pics. The first one is him in our tent.

After playing in the tent for a while we ate dinner. He thought it was pretty cool to eat in the back of my truck. I stopped at Wal Mart and got a bunch of candy and decided to let him eat as much as he wanted. He ended up getting a small stomachache at dinner so I had to put it away much earlier than I thought I would.



Then we played with fires for a little while.

Then, after the sun went down and we gobbled down our dutch over cobbler is was time for bed. It was cold up there that night (mid thirties) but Sam did well. He woke up a couple of times and said he was cold (he kept wriggling out of his sleeping bag). I put him back in and kept putting his hat on. This picture is what I woke up to in the morning.





And then in the morning we played with some more fires.

Thanks for coming with me Sam. I'm already looking forward to next year!


2 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the pictures. It looks like Sam is going to be a pyro, just like any decent young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are FANTASTIC :). Such a cute boy. It was fun to hear B.J.'s account of the trip.

    ReplyDelete