My sister Mary asked me if I would like to run in the
Ragnar Race with her Feb 26-27. For those of you who have never heard of it, it is a 202 mile relay race. It is run by a team of 12 people who run anywhere between 3-8 miles per leg and we each had 3 legs. I have been training for it hard since December. It was so much fun. I ran my 7.2 mile leg about 2-3 a.m. thinking this is crazy that I am having the time of my life. Right after Mary, our last runner from Van 1, finished her leg at 3:30 am we found out that there had been an accident during the race. A teenage boy who was in another team was struck by a car and tragically died a couple of days later. From that point the atmosphere of the race had changed a lot because no one really knew what had happened. They decided to cut out the part of the race that the accident had
occurred, meaning that 6 legs of our race would be cut out, so instead of running 3 legs each 6 members of our team would run 2 legs and 6 would run 3 legs. They also flipped the order of the vans. I was suppose to be finished running mid morning on Saturday which
happened to be Sam's birthday, but since everything got switched I wasn't going to be running until later that afternoon meaning I would miss most of Sam's birthday. I decided to leave early since I had already run 2 legs and be with Sam and
BJ. (
Brodi was staying the weekend with her grandparents since I was gone that weekend) Seeing the pictures of the end of the race I feel bad that I didn't stay with the team until the end, however, I would have felt worse about missing Sam's birthday. I would totally do this again. Now that I have caught up on sleep I feel somehow unfulfilled about not being there until the end so anyone up for next year, I'm totally in. Here are some of the pictures.
Van 1 on our way to Prescott.
Here is our team "Just for the Run of it." Alisha, Rachel, Mary, Misty, Allison, me, Stephaine, Katie, Elisha, Laree, and Jessica. I just realized Amanda isn't in the picture she is probably trying to sleep in the car, mind you she had a night shift the night before the race. Jessica the one bending down in front is 6 months pregnant.
Here we are at the starting line.
Mary and I in the van with our awesome headbands.
I'm getting ready for my first run. I apparently have something in my teeth. Thank goodness for sisters because heaven forbid I run with something in my teeth.
Allison passing off to me.
...and I'm off.
I really had a gorgeous run.
Now me passing off to Mary.
Van 1 before our night run.
4:30 am we are finally done with our night runs and at our hotel for a few hours. Can you say TIRED!!
No comments:
Post a Comment